Sunday, April 5, 2015

Reflections: 2 years of Doing Different!

April 6, 2013 – This is the day that I decided to take the first step and embarked on a journey that would save my life in so many ways.  I was an obese woman that suffered from depression and low self-esteem.  I had spent my life inside of a body that wasn't me.  I had struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember.  I remember being mortified when I was wearing a size 20 in high school, followed by a size 22/24 in college, and all the way up to a 26 in my early 30’s.  I had tried just about everything in an attempt to become healthier.  At my heaviest, I was over 300 lbs.  I was completely disgusted with myself.  I was disgusted because I never loved myself enough to do something sooner.  I attended my first Saturday morning workout with Personal Trainer, April Hartsook two years ago.  I like to think that I knew what I was getting into, but to be honest I had no clue.  You see, I was just looking to get in shape.  Little did I know a life of health and wellness is more than just working out.  April taught me that although change can be scary, it can also change your life.  I came to realize that it was time to let go of all the crap from my past (the bullies, the feelings of worthlessness, feeling ignored, and so on).  It was time for me to live my life for me.  It no longer mattered what others thought.  Now, fast forward two years…


April 6, 2015 – Over the past two years, I have learned many things.  I have learned that food is intended to fuel our bodies, not comfort our emotions.  I have learned about what foods to eat, when to eat, and how much.  The most surprising thing has been learning to eat more as you become more active (this is the opposite of what society teaches us).  I have also learned that I am capable of so much more than I ever thought possible.  If you would have told me two years ago (or even ten years ago) that I would be a triathlete, a runner having completed several 5K races and a half marathon, and exercise addict I would have called you a liar.  Learning to exercise regularly and eating right is only part of learning to Do Different.  I also learned how to be happy and how to love myself.  Most recently, I have learned that I am inspiring others to take back their lives.  I have a huge network of support and I am humbled and honored to share this journey with so many wonderful people.  The love and support that I receive on a daily basis from people in all areas of my life is overwhelming.  To date, I have lost 100 pounds and I have gained self-confidence and love for myself.  For the first time in my adult life, I am able to wear sizes XL or L instead of 3XL and 4XL.  Along with the self-confidence and loving myself, came the ability to let people into my life and trusting them enough to share some of the darkness from my past.   It has been an amazing two years of learning and Doing Different and I look forward to continuing to share my journey on a larger platform.  I have been given a gift and I believe in my heart that I have an obligation to share this gift with others and if I inspire one person to take that first step, as I did two years ago, then my mission has been completed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment or questions here....